We strongly believe that individuals who have disabilities want to be active contributors within their communities and achieve their highest level of self-reliance. For that reason, we have developed several unique approaches that not only assist these individuals in fulfilling their dreams of attaining meaningful employment but ensure that employers are receiving valuable employees. Through our Pre-Vocational and Vocational Programs, participants receive the necessary training and support needed to enter the workforce.
The One Step Beyond Pre-Vocational Program is designed to prepare participants for employment through volunteer opportunities modeled to simulate a real-life workplace. Our training incorporates the necessary skills needed to enter the workforce and find sustainable employment opportunities. Participants are taught how to excel performing simple tasks, mature workplace behavior, effective communication with colleagues and supervisors. Throughout the year, lessons are reinforced through mock situations of work environments through curriculum-based activities and volunteering sites.
Curriculum is taught in a classroom environment and tracked based on mastery of skills, with the last week of each month designed to review, repeat, and work on skills that require more emphasis for skill mastery. Several topics, as well as teaching methods that are included in curriculum are:
- Assessing an individual’s learning style
- Identifying an individual’s likes, dislikes, and interests through discussion groups
- Career assessment through discussion groups and role play of work scenarios
- Developing community safety skills through group discussions, community outings, and exercises to develop and reinforce knowledge of safety signs and meanings
- Developing positive work behaviors including identifying appropriate body language and communication styles
- Dressing for success
- Responding to and resolving interpersonal conflict at work
- Developing basic computer skills and resume building
- Guest Speakers and tours of job sites to aid in career exploration
Our Volunteer Partners:
Creekside Campus: Glendale YMCA, Peoria Habitat for Humanity, Sun Valley Elementary School, St. Vincent de Paul, St. Mary’s Food Bank, Soldier’s Best Friend, My Prayer Packages, PetSmart, Goodyear Library, Glendale Community College, and Deseret Thrift Store
Surprise Campus: Clothing Outlet-Thrift Store, PetSmart, Valley View Food Bank, 4 Paws, El Mirage YMCA, Kingswood Nursing Home, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army Food Bank, St. Vincent de Paul, Special Olympics Recycling, Saguaro Janes Center Food Bank, White Tank Library
We offer Group Supported Employment (GSE) through our Vocational Program, a paid employment program utilizing the support of a Job Coach. Through GSE, our participants find workplace success within the community through Job Sites or within One Step Beyond, while earning a paycheck. Within this program GSE Employees are taught how to use time clocks and are evaluated every six months to ensure maximum potential and success. Upon mastery of skills, One Step Beyond makes a recommendation to the Division of Developmental Disabilities of individuals who are ready for Vocational Rehabilitation Services, and after approval individuals are then ready for Individual Supported Employment (ISE) and/or Employment Support Aid (ESA).
We hope to develop partnerships with more Job Sites throughout the Valley which would enable us to offer additional employment opportunities to our members.
[Button] Section 511 of the Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act
- Castle and Coasters (Janitorial)
- Southwest Indian Ministries (Janitorial)
- The Nest (Janitorial)
- Theater Works (Janitorial)
- AZ Care Providers (Clerical) 2 Sites
- Fun Stampers (Production Worker)
- Fair 4 U Designs (Production Worker)
- Turning Page (Sales/Retail) Creekside and Surprise Location
- Peoria Ave. Preschool (Child Care)
- Barros Pizza (Food Prep) Surprise Location
- Surprise Senior Center (Food Prep) Surprise Location
- Surprise Fire Department (Administration) Surprise Location
- B.W. Parts
- Arizona Ice Rink (Food Prep)